Friday 28 December 2012

Shep's spotty fleece jumper!

When we were last on holiday in Cornwall we stumbled across some spotty fleece which we fell in love with. We only bought half a metre each with the view to perhaps making a dog bed each. My fleece is red with white spots and my friends is purple with white spots. It was only after we got home that I realised that half a metre just wasn't going to cut the mustard! Now yes of course, I could still have made a bed had I joined bits together.....or traded my dog in for a smaller model! Then my mind turned to what else I could make with it. It wasn't long before I stumbled upon the idea of making a fleece jumper for him! Poor lad! I already had an offcut of plain red fleece, so if I could combine the two, the finished article should look very smart.

Luckily, I found a Simplicity pattern (9520) for large dog coats on eBay and the best thing is, there are 6/7 different styles you can make, so it's real value for money. I've never used an actual pattern before of the tissue paper kind, so it was a bit of a learning curve! I quickly realised that once I'd looked at the pattern, trying to fold it back in the manor in which it arrived, was nearly impossible and required at the very least, a degree in origami!

Once I'd cut out the relevant pattern pieces, it was all too evident that half a metre of fleece was not wide enough to take the largest pattern piece. Not to worry I thought, all I need to do is to make the back piece in two halves and to join them together. Yes it would mean there was a join down the back but if I lined up the spots, it shouldn't look like it wasn't meant to be there!

It took me a while to engage brain but once I had, I was really pleased I managed to work out how to put the sleeves and the neck in. I did manage to break a needle tho as I attempted to use the method of placing the pins at right angles to the direction of sewing. I had read somewhere that this was the best method as you don't need to remove the pins as you go, you just sew over them. I was a little sceptical and fearful! I couldn't stop myself from slowing down as a needle approached but even then, I managed to break a needle clean off. Needless to say, I won't be trying that again anytime soon!

So here is my little man in his new fleece jumper....poor Shep!

No comments:

Post a Comment