Thursday 13 December 2012

Reindeer friends

You may remember a while ago, we made a 'prototype' reindeer (the red and white one in the photo!) with the pattern from Crafts Beautiful magazine. We just loved the pattern and wanted to treat ourselves by making a reindeer each, out of very special fabric. I went for yellow flowery materials and my friend went for more modern pinks.....I think this represents the age difference between us both... a mere 17yrs!

My sewing machine is a seasoned traveller now! If anyone has ever carried a sewing machine any distance, you will know that they get heavier and heavier the further you carrier it! So I invested in my troll! A little lightweight foldable trolley with wheels that has been invaluable, especially as I have only one fully functioning hand (had a operation on it recently). The only trouble with sewing somewhere other than home is that you need to think ahead and take everything that you might need, with you. As we'd chopped out the pattern pieces already, I left the material at home....you can guess what I needed? I had cut two body pieces out the same, instead of reversing one.....so back home I trudged - which was just as well, as i'd left the buttons at home too!
 


It's amazing how different the reindeers look in the different materials. We also stuffed these reindeers more than the 'prototype' and we're not sure whether that improved them or not! Stuffing them more certainly made it more difficult to put the buttons and the eyes on, as the needle almost got lost in the depths of the body! And who ate all the pies? The yellow one! He's definitely porkier than the other two but hey, his mummy loves him!

No comments:

Post a Comment