Sunday 16 December 2012

Apron strings!

I had a special request for a Christmas pressie. Please can you make me an apron....with flowers on! In my efforts to oblige, off we trundled around the local fabric store. I had researched fabrics online but am not brave enough (yet!) to order fabric this way, purely because I can't 'feel' the fabric and am worried I'm gonna buy the wrong thickness etc! Luckily, there was one flowery fabric that I thought would do the job admirably. It wasn't cheap tho and as I'd already decided to line the apron too with calico, I had to justify the cost; which I did by telling myself that I could make another apron out of the leftovers!


For the neck straps on this apron, I used two D-rings; this allows for the neck strap to be adjustable. I was gonna make all the straps out of the patterned material but I didn't in the end - only because I'd have had to have been extremely careful where I cut the strips from if I were to have any hope of having enough material left to make another one! I had both of the sizes of herringbone tape in cream anyway, which matches well. Choosing which colour cotton to sew it in was a little more tricky! In the end I plumped for a brown.

I was a little disappointed with my pocket on the front. Don't ask me how but it was a little smaller than I'd envisaged, so I wasn't able to sew down the middle of the pocket to divide it in two......so instead it looks more like a marsupial pouch! To reinforce the top corners, I decided to sew a square in each, which I think is decorative and practical!

I have a Cath Kidston apron that I was given as a Christmas pressie years ago and I absolutely love wearing it. I only hope that this apron is very special to it's owner too!

1 comment: