Wednesday 31 October 2012

Peg bags, baby bibs and an injury!

We're off on holiday this week but we had two sewing tasks to do before we leave and put our feet up - peg bags and baby bibs! Strange combination of 'must do's' but hey-ho! The red material in this baby bib was the leftovers from a friends' project. The terry towelling backing is pre-washed, as it is notorious for shrinking! When you cut it, it makes quite a mess with little white bits everywhere - my friends black leggings looked liked she'd been snowed upon!
This peg bag utilises both free-motion (for the lettering) and an almost satin stitch (close zig-zag) for the clothing on the line. I was so amazed by my machine which effortlessly tackled all the stitching without jamming once! Now whilst that might be normal for most of you out there, with my previous machine that was most certainly not the case! It used to jam up all the time and as it was my first machine, I thought that was normal!
Zig-zagging your way around curves is quite an art form! After a while you work out where the needle needs to be positioned, depending on whether it's and inward curve or an outward one. I still think that one pair of socks on the washing line ought to be substituted for a pair of Y-fronts but then that's probably my warped sense of humour at work!
Only one industrial injury today! I was sewing around a baby bib and didn't pull the glass headed pin out in time, so it stabbed me. This happens quite a lot but unfortunately this time, I automatically yanked my hand away, which made the pin go further into my finger and I ended up with a small flap and a bit of blood! My friend said at least I was sewing a red bib! She was quite horrified though when I continued to sew whilst holding a kleenex in that hand. Repeated calls to go and get a plaster were in vain! I thought, I'll just finish this bib first! And anway, the plasters were downstairs and we were upstairs, sounds reason enough to me! Suffice to say, with a bit of sustained pressure, you'll be pleased to know, I did not bleed to death and neither did I get blood on the finished article!

No comments:

Post a Comment