Saturday 16 February 2013

Coasters for men!

I have two birthday's coming up and both of them are for chaps! Men are notoriously difficult to buy presents for, aren't they! I wanted to make a coaster for them that was both classy and one that they wouldn't be afraid to have on their work desks! Both are lovers of what I call 'posh coffee' (cafetiere!) so this material with the coffee bean effect on it was perfect for the job. The back of the coaster is a solid black. The wadding we used is cotton batting (though as it was a remnant, we have no idea whether it has polyester in it at all too!). I managed to make the two coasters in around an hour and a half from start to finish, so I was pleased with that.
 
Whilst I was sewing, every now and again the sewing machine was making a thud thud noise. I worked out that it was probably the needle hitting the metal plate. I should've changed the needle straight away but because it wasn't doing it all the time, I thought it couldn't be a bent needle. A little later it did it again. This time I did change the needle which solved the problem instantly! When I laid the old needle on the table it looked perfectly straight. So now we've come to the conclusion that the needle was probably blunt. I have read somewhere that they recommend that you change the needle every time you start a new project. One website even suggested you change it every 10 hours of sewing etc. Maybe it's coz I'm a northerner, or maybe I'm just tight but it just seems wrong to change it until it's broke! Mental note to self....if it thuds....it's broke!

No comments:

Post a Comment