Wednesday 23 May 2012

The Sewing Room

We still need to sort the Study, now renamed the Sewing Room, out. So far it now contains the sewing machine on a small foldaway hobby table, a large desk with 3 drawers, filing cabinet, two shelving units and most importantly, the ironing board! Until recently the ironing board was rarely seen in operation at my house, me preferring the 'oh naturelle' look i.e. creased! But now it is up permanently with the iron poised, ready for action at a moments notice! We've found that ironing your work as you go, not only makes the seems easier to sew but it also gives a polished quality look to the final article. Investing the time ironing as you go is definitely worth the effort.
We had to change the light bulb in there as even with the light on, it was really dull. We've now put an energy efficient light bulb in with a much stronger lux and it has made a huge difference. Changing it was easy....it was the 'getting round to it' bit that took the time!

When I sit at the sewing machine, I can see straight down my garden. It's a lovely view especially as when the sun is shining I put my rabbit, Humphrey, out in his run on the lawn ,so I can watch him running about - or as is usually the case, watch him sprawled out sunbathing! We need to re-arrange the layout so that when my friend and I are in there together we can pass each other things with ease. At the moment, we end up throwing things to each other to save us having to get up and down every five seconds! A bit of a health and safety nightmare!

We also need some shelves putting up in there so we can store close to hand all the bits and bobs we're collecting! We can't have the shelves put up really until we've decided on what goes where! That needs application of commonsense, which as I've said before, I am completely devoid of! My dog, Shep, says he's quite happy to become a sewing widow for a few hours a day, as long he still has a place for his bed in the Sewing Room! He's like the princess and the pea though, he's got 3 beds in there, one on top of another! Oh to be a dog eh!

We now also have a radio in there too. We listen to WessexFM all the time, which is our local radio station and fortunately, we can still hear it over the noise of the sewing machine. I think all we need now is a drinks cabinet and we'll be in seventh heaven! Only kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment